So, Tax Day came earlier this week, and the issues of personal finance reared their ugly heads. Unless you’re wired for numbers, money is one of those topics many just like to avoid. At the same time, however, financial security requires planning ahead and knowing how best to prepare for what life will inevitably throw at you. It’s for that reason that Money Smart Week (lasting from Saturday, April 20 to Saturday, April 27) is a great deal for the vast majority of our Cheapsters.
The fact that you’re reading our posts and finding ways to save money on everyday purchases proves you’re on the right path. However, Money Smart Week is a way to learn far more about personal finance. Over a decade ago, a diverse group of over 40 Chicago-area organizations came together to work towards promoting personal financial literacy. Their efforts led the first Money Smart Week in 2002. That tradition has continued to the present, and Money Smart Week has become a nationwide phenomenon.
“Nationwide” obviously includes Indianapolis, and you have opportunities this week to attend FREE seminars at various locations around town. You can look up full details (including times and addresses) by clicking our link to the Money Smart Week website, but here is a sneak-peek of events and topics coming up. To condense the reading a bit, we’re only mentioning the first four days of the week. You can read on at the website for all the information.
Saturday, April 20:
- Martindale Brightwood Financial Fitness Fair (topics include mortgages, unemployment, saving and planning for college, etc.)
- Save and Get a Raise (topics include basic banking services)
Monday, April 22:
- Protect Yourself – Stop Scams and Identity Theft (topics include identity theft, investment scams, and financial fraud)
- Understanding Social Security Benefits – Retirement, Survivors, & Disability (topics include preparing for financial emergencies)
- Financial Freedom Carnival (topics include tours and special events)
- Critical Components to Protecting Retirement Wealth: LTC and Legacy Planning (topics include retirement planning)
Tuesday, April 23:
- Your Future, It’s Handled (topics include preparing for financial emergencies)
- Financial Fitness (topics include personal finance and budgeting)
- Dollars & Cents Making Sense of your Budget (topics include personal budgeting)
- Charitable Gifts and Retirement (topics include retirement planning)
- The Savings Miracle (topics include healthy habits that save)
- Maximize Your Retirement Savings (topics include estate planning)
Wednesday, April 24:
- Credit 101 and Debt Elimination (topics include credit and debt management)
- Understanding Social Security in Retirement Planning (topics include retirement planning)
- Don’t Retaliate, Negotiate (topics include credit and debt management)