One of the biggest reasons we try to point our Cheapsters towards deals, discounts, and freebies is because the times aren’t easy for everyone. When you are struggling to make ends meet, finding opportunities to save money on necessary purchases is important. But even in these challenging times, it still seems amazing to us that children living in our communities go hungry. While we may wonder how we will afford to enroll our children in college one day, many parents out there wonder how they will provide food for their children this week.
One group trying to combat this problem is Share Our Strength. They are dedicated to raising funds for our youth in need, running numerous campaigns to raise money and awareness. Their biggest campaign in September is the Dine Out for No Kid Hungry Week, which starts Sunday September 16 and continues until the end of the day Saturday September 22. They have partnered with thousands of restaurants around the country who are offering specific No Kid Hungry promotions. In Indianapolis alone, 75 restaurant locations have signed on. For full details, follow this link to a map of the city’s locations. The following are a few examples of the specific promotions:
- Arby’s: Customers who donate $1 will receive a coupon for one FREE Value Menu item with the purchase of a sandwich.
- Papa John’s Pizza: Order any large pizza (up to five toppings) and breadsticks for $15. Use the promo code HUNGRY and Papa John’s will donate $1 to the campaign.
- O’Charley’s: Donate $1 and you will receive a coupon for a FREE mini dessert. If you donate $5, you will receive a coupon for $5 off of your next purchase of $20 or more.
- Gallagher’s Pizza Express: A donation of $1 earns you a coupon for FREE cinni-stix. A $5 donation will earn you a coupon for a FREE personal pizza on your next visit.
- Buffalo Wild Wings: If you order anything off of the Tablegating Sampler Menu, they will donate 50 cents to the campaign.
Child hunger is not a war that can be won overnight. But every little bit helps. You can lend your support by eating out at these restaurants next week and earn some freebies for yourself in the process.