Now that December has arrived and Thanksgiving is behind us, it’s time to fully turn our attention to Christmas. The days are getting very short now, and many of our Cheapsters find themselves driving home from work after dark. The positive way to look at this, however, is it gives you an opportunity to enjoy all the Christmas lights that go up this time of year. And there’s no more quintessential Christmas symbol than the Christmas tree.
Considering we are Indianapolis on the Cheap, our first bit of advice would be to consider a small artificial tree you can find at a wide variety of stores and probably on the cheap. However, we know many of our Cheapsters hold the traditional view that chopping down your Christmas tree and carrying it home is the only real and pure way to do it. If this describes you, allow us to point you in the direction of several Christmas tree farms in the area.
Just make sure to always call ahead to the farm and confirm that they are open and still have trees available. They will also be able to provide more information on the kinds of trees provided (i.e. Douglas, Canaan, Fraser, Scotch, etc.). If you can’t reach the Christmas tree farm ahead of time by phone, we recommend picking another option. Considering how many options are available, we’re splitting this into two posts. With no further ado, here is the list for Central Indiana (courtesy of Pickyourownchristmastree.org):
- Hackman Tree Farm: 12076 W 50S, Columbus, 47201. Phone number: (812) 342-6797
- Tower Family Christmas Trees: 4416 West Lowell Road, Columbus, 40291. Phone number: (812) 378-3505
- Dulls Tree Farm: 1765 W Blubaugh Avenue, Thorntown, 46071. Phone number: (765) 325-2418
- Kimben Farm: 11153W 500S, New Ross, 47968. Phone number: (765) 753-1727
- Cottrells Christmas Tree Farm: 3656 West County Road 800 North, Rossville, 46065. Phone number: (765) 379-3825
- Bohman Christmas Tree Farm: 9801 E. Base Road, Greensburg. Phone number: (812) 934-4257
- Richard’s Nursery Tree Farm: 11868 State Road 3 South, Westport, 47283. Phone number: (812) 591-2015
- The Branch Ranch: 6604 W. Timbercrest Lane, Muncie, 47304-9350. Phone number: (765) 289-8155
- Millbrook Tree Farm: 2615 W CR 400 S, Yorktown, 47396. Phone number: (765) 378-6448
- Roehler’s Christmas Tree Farm: 7148 Ott Road, Connersville. Phone number: (765) 825-0902
- Moster’s Tree Farm: 13132 Romer Road, Brookville. Phone number: (765) 647-3910
- Whitetail Acres Tree Farm: 9127 Cooley Road, Brookville. Phone number: (765) 647-0528
- Helt’s Pine Ridge Tree Farm: 5425N 250W, Marion, 46952. Phone number: (765) 668-1936
- Hoosier Home and Garden: 1411 West 236th Street, Sheridan, 46069. Phone number: (317) 225-4732
- Piney Acres Farm: 115 E. 1000 North, Fortville, 46064. Phone number: (317) 326-9024
- Yakey Tree Farm: 9189 E. 106th Street, Fishers, 46038. Phone number: (317) 842-2514
- Brawner’s Greenhouse & Christmas Trees: 1015 E. Broadway, Fortville, 46040. Phone number: (317) 485-5853
- Hillcrest Tree Farm: 4420 East 500 South, Greenfield, 46140. Phone number: (317) 462-7694
- Lost Forty Tree Farm: 4499 North 400 East, Greenfield, 46140. Phone (317) 326-4670
- Piney Acres Farm: 115 E. 1000 North, Fortville, 46040
Check back tomorrow for the second half of our Christmas tree guide.