As Alice could have told you when she was partying with the Mad Hatter in Wonderland, you only have one birthday in every 365 days. While you may sometimes want to pretend that your birthdays occur even less frequently than that, keep in mind that birthdays mean deals. Right now, we are in the middle of a series of posts informing you about our favorite gifts and discounts from various categories that you have access to that special time of the year.
This week’s category is shopping deals. One word that often comes to mind with retail is competition. No matter which business comes out on top, however, you win. And on your birthday, these five represent the best of your spoils:
- American Eagle: When you’re looking for clothes that are both high-quality and incredibly trendy, American Eagle is one of the best in the category. You probably would want to join the AE Rewards Program anyway just for the points that add up to percentage discounts on the newest fashion products. Holding their card, however, will grant you 15% off on purchases the month of your birthday.
- Aveda: All about the art and science of flower and plant essences, Aveda offers hair and skincare products to help you maintain your glowing beauty. Another thing that will make you glow is the birthday gift they send you if you sign up for an online account with them. Each year, you will be sent a gift valued at up to $25, which could be a body care product, a perfume, or one of their other products.
- Victoria’s Secret: Like the others, this clothing store famed for its lingerie and sleepwear offers a reward system. They call theirs the Angel Card, and it features rewards for points earned as well as six months of discounted offers to welcome you as a member. They also send a surprise birthday gift every year, but in past years the gift has tended to be a gift card worth at least $10 so that you can spend it on the products you like. Just remember that the gift is a surprise – you didn’t hear it here …
- Helzberg Diamonds: A high-end jeweler known for its engagement rings, watches, and other diamond accessories, this may be the most valuable birthday opportunity on this list. Again, they need you to open an account with them (how else will they know your birthday?), but they generously send a coupon you can redeem in-store for a FREE piece of jewelry, usually pearl earrings or a bracelet. You’ve heard it said that diamonds are a girl’s best friend. They are also likely your best birthday gift.
- Toys R Us: Shifting gears a bit, this deal is admittedly only going to be great for your kids, but you can sign your tyke up for Geoffrey’s Birthday Club. After signing up, your child will receive a special birthday card and gift from Geoffrey the Giraffe each year until he or she is ten. Not only that, but Geoffrey the Giraffe will surprise your child with a personal phone call. Finally, you can come into the store near your child’s birthday for a birthday crown, a Geoffrey balloon, and a personalized announcement broadcast to the entire store. (Bear in mind, the phone call and in-store celebration are completely optional.) Either way, your son or daughter won’t soon forget how thoughtful Geoffrey was on behalf of the rest of the Toys R Us staff.
Want more? Check out our top five restaurant deals for your birthday. In the meantime, follow the retail name links to search for locations near you.